Big Ideas for World Oceans Week at The Explorers Club
by David Shaw
Oceans are a critical support system for life on Earth, and World Oceans Day was created to inspire collective global action to improve ocean health.
I had the honor of organizing and hosting a “big ideas” event for World Oceans Week at The Explorers Club. Our event focused on bold initiatives to address daunting challenges to ocean health. These initiatives included:
- New perspectives on our global ocean-climate agenda
- Announcement of a new ocean “hope spot” in New York
- Expanded awareness of deep-sea ecosystems
- Private sector initiatives in support of a sustainable blue economy
- Novel media enterprises to support ocean awareness and action
- An innovative public art project to support environmental advocacy
I am grateful to participants in our event including Sylvia Earle, Kate Fleming, Brad Act, Ellen Pikitch, Sheena Talma, and The Explorers Club staff.
Watch a video of our event here: